Tuesday, April 6, 2010

VAGINA: not a sign of weakness

I was at the park the other day with two of my advocate kids (I'm a court-appointed advocate for 3 foster kids) and overheard a really sad exchange between two little kids.  An older boy, maybe 8, was trying to get two 6 year olds to fight each other.  When they didn't want to fight, the older boy said, "Don't be such a little girl."

What he meant was, "don't be weak-like a girl".  Being around so many teen boys, I realize that they struggle with being manly and do anything they can to avoid being called a girl, sissy, pussy, or worse.  I've heard this so many times and my response is,  "A vagina is not a sign of weakness."

Until we can all agree that women are not weak and having a vagina doesn't make you less-than, little boys and little girls will continue to define themselves by what they are not, rather than who they are, strengths and all.

I had to channel my anger and frustration by doing something.  This pillow is the result.  I'll add a post about how I created the pillow in the coming days.
Enjoy!

Peace,
nicole

1 comment:

  1. I love the pillow! Where can we find Nicole Steward Designs?

    ReplyDelete